Assay Development Manager - LEX Diagnostics
Cambridge, United Kingdom
We are looking to recruit a hands-on molecular biologist to lead assay development for a breakthrough molecular diagnostics platform.
LEX Diagnostics is commercialising a disruptive hand-held molecular diagnostics system with a target sample to answer time of just 5 minutes. This is enabled by ultrafast, low cost DNA amplification IP developed at TTP (The Technology Partnership), Europe’s leading independent technology development consultancy. LEX was spun-out from TTP in April 2020 with significant funding to commercialise the technology with an ambitious industry partner. LEX will bring rapid, sensitive diagnosis of viral infections to the frontline of healthcare. The first product will an influenza test, and the system will be expanded over time to detect other viral infections. You can read more about LEX here.
As Assay Development Manager, you will lead a small team of molecular biologists in the development, optimisation and validation of molecular assays for common respiratory viruses on the LEX system. This is a hands-on role with the opportunity to translate your life sciences insights into practical engineered solutions, and. This is an opportunity to developo develop new skills as you work closely with the engineering teams responsible for the related point-of-care device and microfluidic cartridge.
The role will include planning, management and hands-on laboratory work to optimise and test the assay performance. You will develop the knowledge of your team with literature reviews, design experiments and analyse data to break new ground. Adept at problem solving, you will possess the flexibility to work with an evolving hardware platform and collaborate with a multidisciplinary team. Your experience will enable you to think and plan independently to achieve project goals that will directly impact the success of the company.
- Substantial experience in the development of in vitro PCR-based diagnostic assays in a commercial/industrial environment
- Experience of assay development with an ISO 13485 quality system and the ability to contribute to SOPs and ensure they are followed
- Excellent laboratory skills and familiarity with common molecular assay methodologies with a PhD in a relevant field
- Experience of biosafety procedures and containment level 2 laboratory work
- The ability to critically examine critically equipment and data and use this experience to troubleshoot assays
- Demonstratable experience that you have managed projects under time pressure in a pragmatic manner
- Clear communication skills and the ability to direct, develop and motivate an ambitious team.
- Confidence in communicating your results to both technical and non-technical stakeholders including senior management and investors
- Familiarity working with prototype instruments
LEX Diagnostics is part is of TTP Group, an employee-owned business operating from pleasant surroundings on our own Science Park in Melbourn, near Cambridge. Our working culture encourages entrepreneurship, shared ideas and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We also offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- Employer pension contribution of 12% (+3% personal contribution)
- Enhanced share purchase scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life insurance
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.