Assay Development Scientist
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Are you experienced in assay development?
We are seeking a bright, enthusiastic, experienced laboratory scientist who wants to contribute to the development of cutting-edge products for nucleic acid and biomolecule-based analysis; this includes new assay approaches and systems integrating sample preparation and workflow automation.
You will be a core team member bringing products to the market, involved in all stages of technology and product development. This will include bench-top assay design, running experimental validation studies, developing new molecular tools and cellular technologies, and generating data-driven product insight for new platforms and instruments. As well as your hands-on skills in assay development, your technical breadth will enable you to quickly grasp new ideas and collaborate effectively with people from a range of technical backgrounds.
The Assay Development Scientist role offers the opportunity to contribute to some of the newest and most exciting technology advances in the industry. Your insight will contribute to development opportunities and you will be capable of helping to translate these insights into practical engineered solutions. In a predominantly lab-based role, you will be at home developing novel assays and designing informative experiments.
The successful candidate will have an excellent commercial or academic track record and will enjoy creating elegant, manufacturable solutions to complex technical challenges.
- Significant hands-on experience of assay development (cell-based assays, nucleic acid extraction, NGS library prep, DNA sequencing, qPCR, RT-qPCR, LAMP or similar) with demonstrable commercial results.
- Understanding of good experimental design for effective assay development and verification.
- Good awareness of commercial trends and opportunities in your field.
- A first or 2:1 in biology, biochemistry or a related discipline from a world-class university and a solid knowledge base across molecular and protein biochemistry, cellular biology as well as in modern bioanalytical methods.
- Well-developed laboratory skills and assay-development experience with a solid theoretical reasoning.
- Experience in a collaborative role.
- PhD in a relevant area.
- Familiarity with regulated development/ working with processes such as ISO 13485/ISO17025.
- Experience of technical leadership within a role or a project.
- Experience of a multidisciplinary environment such as working with engineers or physicists developing new diagnostic systems.
- Experience in a client-facing role.
Additionally, we are looking for:
- A hands-on attitude. You enjoy taking your theories into the lab and putting them to the test.
- Strong problem-solving ability. You can apply biochemistry in broader science and engineering contexts and understand how scientific developments and inventions can create value for society.
- Insatiable curiosity. Whether it is new science, technology or how a business makes money, you dig deeper to generate valuable insight
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills. You enjoy collaborating across disciplines and succinctly and clearly presenting your work to others and explaining why it matters to them.
- Drive. You take on new responsibilities, seek challenging objectives, and pursue them with tenacity and pragmatism.
TTP is an employee-owned business operating from pleasant surroundings on our own Science Park in Melbourn, South Cambridgeshire. Our working culture encourages entrepreneurship, shared ideas and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We also offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- A generous employer pension contribution
- Employee share scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Profit share
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Life insurance
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.