Biological Development Scientist - LEX Diagnostics
Cambridge, United Kingdom
LEX are looking to recruit a Biological Development Scientist to drive ongoing realisation of a Point of Care Molecular Diagnostic platform.
LEX Diagnostics is a spin-out business from TTP (The Technology Partnership), Europe’s leading independent technology development consultancy. We have a world class diagnostic technology that enables rapid detection of respiratory viruses such as COVID-19 and influenza in only five minutes, at the point of care. The technology is based on a novel approach to conventional molecular diagnostics with next generation nucleic acid amplification tools. You can read more about LEX here.
LEX is a fast-growing multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers and we are building a business to take amazing proof-of-principle data and systems to global hospitals and laboratories in just a few years.
As a LEX Biological Development Scientist, reporting to the Assay Development Manager, you will be a dedicated laboratory scientist working to evaluate the performance of our rapid RT-PCR assays as we undertake development and transfer to manufacture activities. You will work across standard and next generation technologies, collaborating with other science and engineering teams to deliver performance evaluation data and contribute to system improvement and product development.
In this role, you will focus upon development and optimisation of sample handling and processing technologies. Involved in the development and optimisation of sample collection, target elution, cell lysis and sample conditioning processes, it requires an understanding of the physiology of both the sample collection site and the target organism to create the most effective solutions. Broader contribution to the validation of molecular assays for a range of infectious diseases is required, specifically for interference and inclusivity studies. You will work to develop methodologies for increasingly mature LEX systems to support launch and be hands on in the validation studies required for regulatory approval of our first product and beyond.
As a LEX scientist you must be passionate about delivering exceptional data and will take pride in your attention to detail, ability to communicate effectively with other team members and to work under formal quality systems.
The essential requirements for this role are:
- You will have a minimum of a Batchelors degree in a relevant scientific discipline, ideally in Microbiology, Molecular Biology or a related discipline.
- You will have experience working with clinical samples or surrogate systems
- You will have significant hands-on experience with a range of biological and microbiological samples
- You will have previous experience with molecular biology techniques including real time PCR, nucleic acid extraction and nucleic acid quantification.
- You will have experience in experimental design, execution and data analysis.
- You will be required to work both with standard instrumentation and systems in development and will be able to adapt accordingly.
- You will have strong communication skills and will be able to show evidence that you can present succinctly and clearly to others.
Desirable qualities for this role are:
- A PhD, or equivalent experience in employment or research capacity.
- Previous experience in a clinical setting
- Previous experience handling BSL II (or higher) materials or organisms
- Previous experience in virology
- Previous experience working in accordance with HTA regulations
- Experience of collaboration across disciplines, e.g. in engineering or data science.
- Experience working to ISO13485 standards.
- Experience of Sample preparation development
- Experience of Bacterial and or Tissue Culture.
- Experience in the IVD industry
LEX Diagnostics is part is of TTP Group, an employee-owned business operating from pleasant surroundings on our own Science Park in Melbourn, near Cambridge. Our working culture encourages entrepreneurship, shared ideas, and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We also offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- Employer pension contribution of 12% (+3% personal contribution)
- Enhanced share purchase scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life insurance
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.