Cambridge, United Kingdom
Biochemists at TTP invent novel technologies and technological products that make a difference to people’s lives, grow our clients’ businesses and help our business thrive. These can be in a wide range of application areas – for example developing novel proteins to improve diagnostics or creating synthetic biology circuits that detect small molecules in sensors.
You will be involved in all stages of technology and product development including design (e.g. synthetic genes, probes, proteins, cellular systems or methods), experimental validation studies, target market analysis and technology landscaping, client conversations, and scale up or production planning. As well as bringing depth and skills in biochemistry, your scientific breadth will enable you to quickly grasp new ideas and collaborate effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds.
You will contribute to and lead ambitious projects, working collaboratively in multi-disciplinary teams with a high degree of responsibility. Your project planning skills and judgment will enable you to balance carefully the uncertainties of R&D with time and budget constraints. You will join a team with high levels of communication, alignment, and trust, enabling each team member’s insight and energy to shape outcomes and contribute to team goals.
You will grow strong, collaborative relationships with clients and prospective clients, understanding them along with their strategy and vision, developing plans that will deliver real value. With experience, your combination of increasing market and technology insight will enable you to uncover valuable new business opportunities and even new areas of business.
The essential requirements for this role are:
- Breadth. A first or 2:1 in biochemistry or a related discipline from a world-class university and a solid knowledge base across molecular and cellular biochemistry, as well as in modern analytical methods.
- Ability to drill deep. A PhD with at least one first author publication in an exciting area of experimental biochemistry.
- A hands-on attitude. You enjoy taking your theories into the lab and putting them to the test.
- Applied thinking. You can put biochemistry into broader contexts and understand how scientific inventions can create value for society.
- Insatiable curiosity. Whether it’s new science, technology or how a business makes money, you dig deeper to generate valuable insight
- Communication skills. You enjoy collaborating across disciplines and presenting your work to others and explaining why it matters to them.
- Drive. You take on new responsibilities, seek challenging objectives, and pursue them with tenacity and pragmatism.
Candidates with greater experience will increasingly fulfil these additional requirements:
- Leadership. You build collaboration by engaging with the needs and perspectives of others, enabling you to act in the common interest, build confidence, establish trust, and take responsibility for joint outcomes.
- Insight. You demonstrate scientific and commercial insights and the creative ability to connect the two to uncover and chase novel scientific, technological or commercial opportunities.
- Initiative. You take action to exploit opportunities – whether scientific, commercial, personal, or otherwise – and make the most of them.
- Expertise. You are a subject matter expert and can represent your discipline internally, through helping and coaching others, and externally, through opinion leadership and as a first contact point.
This role is open to applicants at several career stages, from recent PhD to experienced professional.
- You will be expected to demonstrate the essential requirements even at the start of your career. Tell us how your studies, extra-curricular activities or internship help demonstrate your wider potential.
- A few years into your career you will have a demonstrable track record, but still have plenty of scope to develop. Tell us about your achievements.
- As an experienced professional, you will be able to demonstrate your scientific and/or commercial impact. Tell us how you can expand TTP’s capabilities or build a new area of business.
Please submit your CV including evidence showing how you meet the requirements above.
The online application process will ask you to explain why you want to work at TTP, why you think you are a strong candidate for the role, and to describe a project that you have contributed to.
- Employer pension contribution of 12% (+3% personal contribution)
- Profit related bonus
- Enhanced share purchase scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life insurance
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.