Consultant Biological Sciences
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Our life scientists work side-by-side with our engineers and physicists to create disruptive life science technologies. Our multidisciplinary collaborations are exciting and unique – and the results are unparalleled, with products moving in just a few short years from TTP’s facilities, to hospitals and laboratories around the world.
Biologists and Biochemists at TTP work in consort with our physical scientists and engineer to develop novel technologies and technological products that make a difference to people’s lives, grow our clients’ businesses and help our business thrive. These can be in a wide range of application areas from establishing new diagnostic platforms to developing new techniques and novel biology.
You will be involved in all stages of technology and product development including design (e.g. synthetic genes, probes, proteins, cellular systems or methods), experimental validation studies, and ultimately be a core team member in bringing products to the market. As well as bringing depth and skills in biochemistry, your technical breadth will enable you to quickly grasp new ideas and collaborate effectively with people from a range of technical backgrounds.
You will contribute to and lead ambitious projects, working collaboratively in multi-disciplinary teams with a high degree of responsibility. Your project planning skills and judgment will enable you to balance carefully the uncertainties of R&D with time and budget constraints.
You will grow strong, collaborative relationships with clients and prospective clients, understanding them along with their strategy and vision, developing plans that will deliver real value. With experience, your combination of increasing market and technology insight will enable you to uncover valuable new business opportunities and even new areas of business.
The essential requirements for this role are:
- Breadth. A first or 2:1 in biology, biochemistry or a related discipline from a world-class university and a solid knowledge base across molecular and cellular biochemistry, as well as in modern analytical methods.
- A PhD in an exciting area of biology or biochemistry from a world-class university or resulting in at least three publications.
- Must be a technical expert in at least one relevant field, e.g. cell biology, protein biochemistry, nucleic acid biochemistry.
- A minimum 3 years’ post-doctoral experience in a commercial environment in an innovative hands-on role.
- Experience in a client-facing or collaborative role
- Experience of technical leadership within a role or project
Additionally, we are looking for:
- A hands-on attitude. You enjoy taking your theories into the lab and putting them to the test.
- Applied thinking. You can apply biochemistry in broader science and engineering contexts and understand how scientific inventions can create value for society.
- Insatiable curiosity. Whether it’s new science, technology or how a business makes money, you dig deeper to generate valuable insight
- Communication skills. You enjoy collaborating across disciplines and succinctly and clearly presenting your work to others and explaining why it matters to them.
- Drive. You take on new responsibilities, seek challenging objectives, and pursue them with tenacity and pragmatism.
The online application process will ask you to explain why you want to work at TTP, why you think you are a strong candidate for the role, and to describe a project that you have contributed to.
TTP is an employee-owned business operating from pleasant surroundings on our own Science Park in Melbourn, South Cambridgeshire. Our working culture encourages entrepreneurship, shared ideas and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We also offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- A generous employer pension contribution
- Employee share scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Profit share
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Life insurance
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.