Consultant RF Engineer
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Consultant RF engineers at TTP develop complex radio and antenna systems that make a difference to people’s lives, grow our clients’ businesses and help our business thrive.
We work across a wide range of wireless applications such as satellite terminals and antennas for aircraft, long range IoT and bespoke wireless connectivity systems for first responders.
But RF Consultants at TTP also work outside the norm. We utilise our core expertise in electromagnetics, working alongside experimental Physicists and Materials Scientists to create next-generation communications and RF technologies. TTP has state-of-the-art facilities including microFab, laser lab and a custom-built antenna chamber.
You will be involved in all stages of technology and product development including invention, analysis, computational modelling, prototype design, laboratory testing, process development, and manufacturing.
Your solutions will initially be simulated using tools such as CST and Microwave Office, prior to prototype manufacturing and test. As well as bringing depth in RF engineering, your technical breadth will enable you to quickly grasp new ideas and collaborate effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds.
You will contribute to and lead ambitious projects, working collaboratively in multi-disciplinary teams with a high degree of devolved responsibility. Your project planning skills and judgment will enable you to balance carefully the uncertainties of R&D with time and budget constraints. High levels of communication, alignment, and trust enable each team member’s insight and energy to shape outcomes and contribute to team goals.
You will grow strong, collaborative relationships with clients and prospective clients, understanding them along with their strategy and vision, developing plans that they buy into, and maintaining this understanding and buy-in through the successes and setbacks of challenging technology projects. With experience, your combination of increasing market and technology insight will enable you to uncover valuable new business opportunities and even new areas of business.
The essential requirements for this role are:
• A first or 2:1 in communications / electronic engineering or a related discipline from a world-class university.
• A hands-on attitude. You enjoy taking your theories into the lab and putting them to the test using rapid prototyping techniques.
• Insatiable curiosity. Whether it’s new technology or how a business makes money, you dig deeper to generate valuable insight
• Communication skills. You enjoy collaborating and presenting your work to others and explaining why it matters to them.
• Drive. You take on new responsibilities, seek challenging objectives, and pursue them with tenacity and pragmatism.
Candidates with greater experience will increasingly fulfil these additional requirements:
• Leadership. You build collaboration by engaging with the needs and perspectives of clients, colleagues, and other stakeholders, enabling you to act in others’ interests, build confidence, and establish trust.
• Insight. You demonstrate technical and commercial insight and the ability to apply these to development decisions, and to uncovering commercial opportunities.
• Initiative. You take action to exploit opportunities – whether technological, commercial, personal, or otherwise – and make the most of them.
This role is open to applicants at any career stage, from recent graduate to experienced professional.
• You will be expected to demonstrate the essential requirements even at the start of your career. Tell us how your extra-curricular activities or internship help demonstrate your wider potential.
• A few years into your career you will have a demonstrable track record, but still have plenty of scope to develop. Tell us about your achievements.
• As an experienced professional, you will be able to demonstrate your technical and commercial impact. Tell us how you can expand TTP’s capabilities or build a new area of business.
Please submit your CV including evidence showing how you meet the requirements above.
The online application process will ask you to explain why you want to work at TTP, why you think you are a strong candidate for the role, and to describe a project that you have contributed to.
- Employer pension contribution of 12% (+3% personal contribution)
- Profit related bonus
- Enhanced share purchase scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life insurance
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.