Electrical & Controls Design Engineer - Tonejet
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Tonejet Limited is looking for a talented, motivated and ambitious Electrical & Controls Design Engineer with 3-5 years’ experience to join their growing Product Engineering team. You will be part of the team developing the next-generation of Tonejet digital printing products, focussed on developing electrical control panels and machine control systems, and programming and debugging complex electromechanical printer systems.
The role will appeal to an engineer with a background in industrial electrical design for special purpose machinery or process related industry. The role focuses on training and development of engineering skills as you grow with the business.
Tonejet develops cutting-edge technology and products in digital printing, based on our proprietary electrostatic drop-on-demand ink ejection technology. Our current focus is on the Cyclone machine, designed for digital printing of metal packaging. We are at an exciting point in the company’s growth as we approach the first Beta-machine installations, while simultaneously looking at new opportunities and applications for our unique and disruptive technology. As part of a dynamic, creative and inventive team you’ll be given the room to grow your technical skills and specialise in the areas you excel while retaining the broad variety of day to day work.
As an engineer at Tonejet your contribution will be immediate, involving a mixture of hands-on development with machines and systems, product improvement programmes and ground-up design work, which will include:
- Electrical System design for 1-phase / 3-phase electromechanical machine systems
- Control Panel design for machinery and motor control
- Design of safety systems for machinery and factory lines
- Cable and Motor sizing
- Producing cable schedules and electrical schematics for machine build and commissioning
- PLC Programming and debugging for Rockwell / Allen-Bradley PLCs
- HMI Programming and Design
- Commissioning machines for Factory Acceptance Testing
- Transfer of new product designs to Production
- Maintaining documentation for existing Tonejet products
Qualifications and Training
- 1st or Upper 2nd Class Degree in a relevant discipline from a top engineering university
Skills and Experience (Essential)
- 3-5 Years’ experience in a hands-on Industrial Electrical design role within an engineering or industrial product company
- Experiencing of designing and commissioning complex electromechanical machinery and systems.
- Experience of designing safety systems for panels and machinery.
- Control Panel design and layout experience for motors / PLCs / Power Supplies etc.
- Programming of Allen Bradley / Siemens PLCs using Ladder Logic
- HMI programming and design for Machinery and Factory lines
- Strong CAD skills with Electrical Design software like Solidworks Electrical, Electra, TraceCAD Electrical etc.
- Practical experience and knowledge of product and machinery regulatory approvals and standards for Europe (Machinery Directive) and North America (UL508 / CSA22.2)
- Hands-on fault-finding and analytical skills for debugging machines and systems
- You have excellent communication and time management skills, work with attention to detail with analytical and innovative thinking and thrive under pressure.
- Experience in printing or heavy-industry preferred.
Skills and Experience (Desirable)
- Electrical Control Panel CAD design for small to medium size panels using 3D CAD (Solidworks Mechanical 3D preferred).
Tonejet is part of TTP Group, an employee-owned business operating from pleasant surroundings on our own Science Park in Melbourn, South Cambridgeshire. Our working culture encourages shared ideas and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We also offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- A generous employer pension contribution
- Employee share scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Profit share
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Life insurance
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.