Electromechanical Engineer - LEX Diagnostics
Cambridge, United Kingdom
We are looking to recruit an experienced electromechanical engineer to lead the electronics and design engineering of a portable influenza diagnostic device.
LEX Diagnostics is commercialising a disruptive hand-held molecular diagnostics system with a target sample to answer time of just 5 minutes. This is enabled by ultrafast, low cost DNA amplification IP developed at TTP (The Technology Partnership), Europe’s leading independent technology development consultancy. LEX was spun-out from TTP in April 2020 with significant funding to commercialise the technology with an ambitious industry partner. LEX will bring rapid, sensitive diagnosis of viral infections to the frontline of healthcare. The first product will an influenza test, and the system will be expanded over time to detect other viral infections. You can read more about LEX here.
As the Engineering Lead, you will own the development of the mechanical and electrical elements of the durable handheld reader in the LEX system. You will be responsible for all aspects of the electromechanical design of the system and will work closely with the broader biology and software development team. Your focus will be on rapid development for clinical trials of the device to meet critical and ambitious milestones for the business. Your experience will enable you to undertake development to medical standards and anticipate specific challenges associated with medical device development. The role will include interaction with teams at our commercial partners, requiring good communication and interpersonal skills.
- A 1st or 2:1 in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or a related discipline. You will be bright with a strong academic record demonstrating a good grasp of the first principles of your subject
- Substantial experience in the development of medical devices incorporating mechanical and electrical elements.
- Practical experience of electronics, schematic design and use of test equipment such as oscilloscopes and logic analysers.
- Deep experience of in mechanical engineering and industrial design.
- First-hand experience in the transfer-to-manufacture of medical diagnostic devices.
- Familiarity with development under ISO13485, with an emphasis on Software Development Lifecycle (e.g. IEC62304) and consideration of risk management processes (e.g. ISO14971)
LEX Diagnostics is part is of TTP Group, an employee-owned business operating from pleasant surroundings on our own Science Park in Melbourn, near Cambridge. Our working culture encourages entrepreneurship, shared ideas and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We also offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- Employer pension contribution of 12% (+3% personal contribution)
- Enhanced share purchase scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life insurance
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.