Electronics Design Engineer - Tonejet
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Tonejet Limited is looking for a talented, motivated and ambitious Electronics Design Engineer with 2-5 years’ experience to join their growing Product Engineering team. You will be part of the team developing the next-generation of Tonejet digital printing products which include Electronics (Circuit and PCB level design); Electrical (system level design and validation); and machine control Software (PLC) development.
The role will appeal to a well-rounded engineer with interests spanning a broad range of electronics, control and electrical systems, who is excited by the idea of designing complete systems from scratch and who is keen to work on complex machines. The role focuses on developing all-round engineering skills as you grow with the business.
Tonejet develops cutting-edge technology and products in digital printing, based on our proprietary electrostatic drop-on-demand ink ejection technology. Our current focus is on the Cyclone machine, designed for digital printing of metal packaging. We are at an exciting point in the company’s growth as we approach the first Beta-machine installations, while simultaneously looking at new opportunities and applications for our unique and disruptive technology. As part of a dynamic, creative and inventive team you’ll be given the room to grow your technical skills and specialise in the areas you excel while retaining the broad variety of day to day work.
As an engineer at Tonejet your contribution will be immediate, involving a mixture of hands-on development with machines and systems, product improvement programmes and ground-up design work, which might include:
- Electronics Design for Tonejet Products (Analog / Digital Circuits, SMPS, Sensor Interfacing, Schematic Capture and PCB Layout)
- Electrical Design for Tonejet Machinery and Test-Rigs (PLCs, Power Supplies, Circuit-Protection, Servo-Motor Control, Motor Drives, Inverters etc.)
- Developing Automation solutions using PLCs (using Ladder Logic for coding)
- Testing and validation of new designs, including EMC and Safety compliance
- System debug and problem solving
Qualifications and Training
- 1st or Upper 2nd Class Degree in a relevant discipline from a top engineering university
Skills and Experience (Essential)
- 2-5 Years’ experience in a hands-on electronics and/or electrical design role in a product-development focussed organisation.
- Circuit design for Analog/Digital circuits, Switch-Mode Supplies (AC / DC), FPGAs, Microcontrollers, communication interfaces like USB, Ethernet.
- PCB layout for complex multi-layer PCBs (minimum 4 layers) for high speed digital and low-voltage analogue electronics (including SMPS designs).
- Strong knowledge of Altium Designer for Schematic Capture and PCB Layout essential.
- Knowledge of product and machinery regulatory approvals and standards (CE / UL)
- Hands-on fault-finding and analytical skills for PCBs, machines and systems
- Experience in print industry preferred.
Skills and Experience (Desirable)
- Electrical Controls design for machinery and small test-rigs
- Electrical Control Panel CAD design for small to medium size panels using 3D CAD (Solidworks Electrical and Solidworks 3D preferred).
- PLC programming for Allen Bradley PLCs in Ladder Logic and using Studio 5000 IDE.
Tonejet is part of TTP Group, an employee-owned business operating from pleasant surroundings on our own Science Park in Melbourn, South Cambridgeshire. Our working culture encourages shared ideas and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We also offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- A generous employer pension contribution
- Employee share scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Profit share
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Life insurance
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.