Electronics / Embedded Software Engineer - CHW
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Cellular Highways is building the next generation of cell sorter instruments for cell therapies, cancer treatment and other biotech applications. With our invention of a new microfluidics sorting technology, vortex actuated cell sorting (VACS), we can reduce the cost and complexity of cell sorting and achieve far greater throughput than existing platforms. Our aim is to make cell sorting accessible to every laboratory as well as enabling new clinical applications.
We are a spin-out company from TTP plc (The Technology Partnership) an established technology consulting firm with a successful track record of launching new businesses with disruptive technologies.
Are you looking for an exciting role in a well-funded biotech start-up?
We are looking for an ambitious highly motivated graduate level electronics engineer with a passion for hand-on technical development to join our expanding team. If you have an affinity for working at the interface where electronics hardware, firmware and software meet in a complex, embedded systems, this will be an ideal role for you. The electronic control and signal processing sub-systems in our products utilise a wide range of technologies, including FPGAs, STM32) microprocessors and graphics processing engines (NVIDIA) to meet the demanding requirements of our cell sorter products. You will have opportunities to develop skills and experience in all these areas limited only by your own interests, drive and motivation.
As well as top-class technical aptitude, the right candidate will also possess broad, natural curiosity and strong inter-personal skills required to flourish within a strong, multi-disciplinary team. Our team comprises experts in diverse fields including optics, microfluidics, mechanical engineering, bio-tech and software and you will enjoy working collaboratively to apply your electronic engineering skills alongside them to solve the key challenges of our application. You will relish the opportunity that we can offer to take on real ownership and responsibility for key aspects of our product design. You will enjoy problem solving and “getting your hands dirty” as you bring your electronics hardware designs to life. If you don’t know which end of a soldering iron gets hot, you probably shouldn’t apply! But if you are the sort of person who does your own “maker” projects with Arduinos, Raspberry Pi’s etc and maintains your own Git Hub for fun, we’d love to talk to you!
To qualify for this role, you must have:
- An excellent academic background with a recently awarded / predicted, top-class degree from a leading university which covers electronics engineering, ideally with some embedded software topics too;
- Aptitude and practical appreciation for hardware design, testing and debugging for digital and analogue electronics;
- Appreciation of programming embedded processors, using C or C++, and familiarity with using protocols such as SPI or I2C to interact with peripherals such as sensors and electromechanical systems;
- Awareness of good hardware and software development practices and a desire to rapidly develop the skills and knowledge to apply these principles to real product design;
- Ambition to work in advanced medical technology development.
Additionally, any the following would be desirable:
- Awareness or experience of using CAD for schematic design and PCB layout and good understanding of a typical PCB manufacturing process;
- Awareness of FPGA technologies and how to design, programme and test FPGA applications using hardware description languages such as Verilog or VHDL;
- Familiarity with programming in high level programming and scripting languages, particularly Python, as part of your toolkit of technical skills;
- Experience of working as part of a technical development team.
Our working culture encourages entrepreneurship, shared ideas, and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- Annual profit-related bonus
- Employer pension contribution of 12% of pensionable pay
- Private medical insurance for employees and dependants
- Free lunch and all-day refreshments
- Life insurance worth 6x salary
- 25 days holiday
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave, with the option to return part-time for a year
- Electric car leasing scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- A wide range of activities including squash, Zumba, yoga, arts and crafts
- Local sports facilities and theatre discounts and memberships
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.
So, if you’re looking for an influential, impactful, and fulfilling Electronics Engineering Consultant role, apply now.
Our business revolves around collaborating with one another to tackle genuinely hard problems. Equality and diversity in the workplace are some of the most challenging problems facing society. We can’t profess to be perfect in this regard, or to yet have all the answers. But we continuously strive to do better, and we fundamentally believe in the power and importance of diversity – both for our community and for the overall success of our business.
We therefore encourage applications from all individuals. Whatever your background, whatever your identity: we would love to hear from you.