Electronics Engineer - Life Sciences
Cambridge, United Kingdom
At TTP, our teams of scientists, engineers, and designers work together to solve challenging problems. Our clients range from innovative start-ups to some of the world’s largest and most respected companies in Biotechnology and Life Sciences.
We are looking for an experienced Electronics Engineer to join our Life Science division. You will be developing complex, ground-breaking instrumentation, and creating novel technologies for our clients in areas such as diagnostics, cell & gene therapy, and drug discovery.
In this role you will work closely with colleagues in multi-disciplinary project teams and liaise directly with clients. This is an excellent opportunity to expand your expertise and contribute to challenging and varied projects that advance medical research.
As an ideal candidate you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- An excellent academic record with 1st or 2:1 degree in Electronic Engineering or equivalent
- Proven experience theory, design, and testing of circuits in several of the following areas:
- Power electronics: particularly <50V, <200W voltage regulators
- Digital electronics: particularly high-speed signal integrity
- Analogue electronics: particularly precision, low-noise circuit design
- Radio Frequency (RF) electronics: particularly communication standards like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Opto-electronics: particularly Light Emitting Diode (LED) and laser drivers, and photodiode or image sensors
- Motion control: particularly Direct Current (DC), Brushless Direct Current (BLDC), and stepper motor drivers, and position, speed, and force sensor technologies
- Temperature control: particularly resistive or infrared heaters, Peltier devices, and temperature sensor technologies
- Fluid control: particularly pumps, valves, and pressure and flow sensors
- Electro-Magnetic Compatibility (EMC) and Electro-Static Discharge (ESD) management and mitigation
- Electrical safety: particularly for mains-powered devices, or higher voltage but current-limited drives such as those used for piezoelectric actuators or electrophoresis
- Ability to contribute to the full product development cycle from requirement capture, technology evaluation to schematic design, to delivering prototypes ready for manufacture
- Good communication skills and a collaborative nature to work effectively in multi-disciplinary project teams, and communicate regularly with client.
- Apply our quality management system on regulated projects
- Participate in requirements capture and verification planning activities
- Participate in risk-management activities such as Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Have a broad understanding of physics as it relates to electronic components and circuits, with some areas of deeper focus
- Produce PCB layouts independently or by working with third parties, and review others’ work
- Lead Transfer To Manufacture (TTM) activities to hand over a product design to a partner for volume manufacture.
TTP is an employee-owned business operating from green surroundings on Melbourn Science Park, 10 miles south of Cambridge. We’re currently building our brand-new sustainable offices and labs in the same location.
Our working culture encourages entrepreneurship, shared ideas, and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- Annual profit-related bonus
- Employer pension contribution of 12% of pensionable pay
- Private medical insurance for employees and dependants
- Free lunch and all-day refreshments
- Life insurance worth 6x salary
- 25 days holiday
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave, with the option to return part-time for a year
- Electric car leasing scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- A wide range of activities including squash, Zumba, yoga, arts and crafts, and TTP’s own rock band
- Local sports facilities and theatre discounts and memberships
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.
So, if you’re looking for an influential, impactful, and fulfilling Electronics Engineering Consultant role, apply now.
Our business revolves around collaborating with one another to tackle genuinely hard problems. Equality and diversity in the workplace are some of the most challenging problems facing society. We can’t profess to be perfect in this regard, or to yet have all the answers. But we continuously strive to do better, and we fundamentally believe in the power and importance of diversity – both for our community and for the overall success of our business.
We therefore encourage applications from all individuals. Whatever your background, whatever your identity: we would love to hear from you.