Experimental Physicist - Bio-instrumentation
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Experimental Physicists at TTP are specialists within their area of applied physics, working at the interface of physics, engineering, and biology. Sitting in the Life Science group, you’ll help develop products and processes that aim to better understand and harness biology, with clients ranging from innovative start-ups to some of the world’s largest and most respected companies in Biotechnology. You will solve complex new problems through skilled experimental and analytical work, learning from and sharing your knowledge with the multidisciplinary team working alongside you.
Your role is likely to combine prior experience in instrumentation development with a deep understanding of the underlying applied physics. The work you do could contribute to the establishment of new tools, methodologies and integrated systems for applications ranging from point-of-care diagnostics, single-cell analytics, pharma discovery, to biomanufacturing.
At TTP, you will have the opportunity to drive experimental activities within projects, while developing your skills in experimental design, system modelling, product development, and colleague and client collaboration.
As an ideal candidate you will have the following:
- An excellent academic record, with a first or 2:1 undergraduate degree in Physics
- Either: Industry experience in a multidisciplinary environment, applying physics to understanding and overcoming the limitations of current life science methods; Or, an experimental PhD in a suitable specialist field including optics, thermodynamics, fluidics, automation
- Proven aptitude for designing, deploying, and improving test apparatus to investigate system performance
- Ability to communicate technical information to colleagues working in diverse fields
- Some knowledge of translation of biological techniques, or experience within the Life Sciences industry would be beneficial
TTP is an employee-owned business operating from green surroundings on Melbourn Science Park, 10 miles south of Cambridge. We’re currently building our brand-new sustainable offices and labs in the same location.
Our working culture encourages entrepreneurship, shared ideas and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- Annual profit-related bonus
- Employer pension contribution of 12% of pensionable pay
- Free lunch on site
- Private medical insurance
- Life insurance
- Discounts on local sports facilities and theatre
- Activities and community fund
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable