Mechanical Design Engineer - Cell Therapy Automation
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Cell therapy automation at Celullar Origins
Cell therapies have been shown to cure devasting and previously untreatable diseases like cancer by re-programming the patient's own immune system. Yet to date, less than 20,000 patients have been treated by these therapies. Giving patients access to these requires a revolution in manufacturing and process automation. We are currently developing breakthrough technologies to enable this step-change and bring cell therapies to all who need them.
We are looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join Cellular Origins, a new, ambitious venture within TTP creating novel automation solutions for cell therapy manufacture. This is a varied role that will include concept creation, designing and testing, of robots, instruments, systems and consumables.
You will enjoy working in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team of Life Scientists, engineers and designers with a passion for solving worthwhile problems. As this is a new venture, you will be able to adapt as things evolve and turn changing requirements into elegant and robust solutions.
As a Mechanical Design Engineer you will contribute to the design and development of our robotic cell therapy automation technology. You will play a key role in concept development and evolution of detailed design solutions using CAD and the realisation of these designs through build and test.
You will be an experienced mechanical designer with excellent design capabilities, a wider understanding of the mechanical considerations of product development and an innovative approach to problem solving.
This is somewhere to really make your mark. Working in a technically challenging and impact-driven venture, with bright and ambitious peers.
- Mechanical design experience of product or instrumentation development in a high technology industry
- Highly proficient in 3D CAD (ideally including SolidWorks)
- Skilled in the design of complex electro-mechanical assemblies from concept to late stage prototype
- Ability to present ideas through sketches, animations, and photorealistic renderings
- Knowledge of a wide range of manufacturing techniques
- Experience of sourcing off-the-shelf and custom parts and building relationships with and managing suppliers
- Excellent time management skills and ability to balance priorities of multiple projects
- Hands-on ability to build, test and troubleshoot
- Experience in design of plastic injection moulded parts would be desirable
Celullar Origins is part of TTP, an employee-owned business operating from green surroundings on Melbourn Science Park, 10 miles south of Cambridge. We’re currently building our brand-new sustainable offices and labs in the same location.
Our working culture encourages entrepreneurship, shared ideas, and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We value the collaborative culture we’ve built and see the benefit in-person interaction brings to our colleagues and the business. However, we understand the importance of work-life balance and offer freedom and flexibility in how you self-manage your working week.
Our employee benefits include:
- Annual profit-related bonus
- 25 days holiday
- Employer pension contribution of 12% of pensionable pay
- Free lunch and all-day refreshments
- Private medical insurance for employees and dependants
- Enhanced family friendly leave
- Life insurance worth 6x salary
- Electric car leasing scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- An activities and community fund that supports healthy activities that bring colleagues together; whether it’s lunchtime squash or football, Zumba or TTP’s own rock band. Colleagues initiate new clubs and outings whenever they feel there’s something missing!
- Local sports facilities and theatre discounts and memberships
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.