Molecular Development Scientist - LEX Diagnostics
Cambridge, United Kingdom
LEX are looking to recruit a Molecular Development Scientist to drive ongoing realisation of the core thermocycling technology in our disruptive molecular diagnostic platform.
LEX Diagnostics is a spin-out business from TTP (The Technology Partnership), Europe’s leading independent technology development consultancy. We have a world class diagnostic technology that enables rapid detection of respiratory viruses such as COVID-19 and influenza in only five minutes, at the point of care. The technology is based on a novel approach to conventional molecular diagnostics with next generation nucleic acid amplification tools You can read more about LEX here.
LEX is a fast-growing multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers and we are building a business to take amazing proof-of-principle data and systems to global hospitals and laboratories in just a few years.
As a LEX Molecular Development Scientist, reporting to the Assay Development Manager, you will be a dedicated laboratory scientist working to evaluate the performance of our rapid RT-PCR assays as we undertake development and transfer to manufacture activities. You will work across standard and next generation technologies, collaborating with other science and engineering teams to deliver performance evaluation data and contribute to system improvement and product development. You will be evaluating assay performance on increasingly mature LEX systems to support launch and be hands on in the validation studies required for regulatory approval of a first product.
This role will require development, optimisation and evaluation of microfluidics based molecular processes such as reverse transcription, real time PCR and melt curve analysis. Development and testing of storage stabilised reagent systems with iterative testing of integrated processes will be required with feedback provided to collaborating teams and external service providers.
As a LEX scientist you must be passionate about delivering exceptional data and will take pride in your attention to detail, ability to communicate effectively with other team members and to work under formal quality systems.
The essential requirements for this role are:
- You will have a minimum of a Batchelors degree in a relevant scientific discipline, ideally in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or a related discipline.
- You will have significant hands-on experience with PCR, RT-PCR and nucleic acid quantification in a laboratory environment, following protocols consistently and producing accurate results.
- You will have experience in experimental design, execution and data analysis.
- You will be required to work both with standard instrumentation and systems in development and will be able to adapt accordingly.
- You will have strong communication skills and will be able to show evidence that you can present succinctly and clearly to others.
Desirable qualities for this role are:
- A PhD, or equivalent experience in employment or research capacity,
- Previous experience working with microfluidics or integrated biological systems
- Previous experience in reagent formulation, lyophilisation and or dry-down.
- Experience of collaboration across disciplines, e.g. in engineering or data science.
- Experience working to ISO13485 standards.
- Experience of NAAT development.
- Experience in the IVD industry
LEX Diagnostics is part is of TTP Group, an employee-owned business operating from pleasant surroundings on our own Science Park in Melbourn, near Cambridge. Our working culture encourages entrepreneurship, shared ideas, and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We also offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- Employer pension contribution of 12% (+3% personal contribution)
- Enhanced share purchase scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life insurance
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.