Cambridge, United Kingdom
This role is an opportunity to apply your optics expertise to make a difference to people’s lives in a wide range of areas; from detecting infectious diseases to making autonomous cars safer. You will have regular interaction with ambitious companies as we collaborate to bring their products to market. In the process you will have the opportunity to shape the technology landscape of the future with your ideas.
You will draw on your creativity and experience to design complex optical systems. Your work will have a direct impact on ambitious fast-paced projects organised around small multi-disciplinary teams with a high degree of freedom and responsibility. Through continued exposure to challenging problems, you will deepen your optics expertise while gaining a broader capability in technology development.
Your broad technical role will span fundamental science; concept creation; optical modelling; optical system design; experimental characterisation and data analysis. You will also work with world class colleagues to support transfer of products into manufacture.
The scope of this role extends beyond the technical sphere, evolving over time to include the prospection, sale and delivery of complex technology developments. You will grow strong, collaborative relationships with clients understanding their needs, strategy and vision. You will develop plans that realise these visions and learn to maintain relationships through the successes and setbacks faced while bringing a breakthrough product to market . With experience, your combination of increasing market and technology insight will enable you to uncover valuable new opportunities and even develop new areas of business.
The essential requirements for this role are:
- Academic excellence. A strong Masters or higher-level degree in Physics, Engineering or a related discipline.
- Relevant experience. At least 2 years working at the cutting edge of laser optics or photonics, either in industry or in academia. You enjoy modelling complex optical systems using software such as Zemax.
- Own your ideas. Strong creativity coupled with good insight into fundamental science.
- Insatiable curiosity. Whether it’s new technology, unfamiliar engineering principles or how a business makes money, you dig deep to generate valuable insight
- Communication skills. You enjoy collaborating and presenting your work to others and explaining why it matters to them.
- Drive. You take on new responsibilities, seek challenging objectives, and pursue them with tenacity and pragmatism.
This role is open to PhD graduates and experienced professionals looking for new and varied challenges. Tell us how you’ve taken the initiative with internal and external stakeholders to demonstrate your wider potential.
- Employer pension contribution of 12% (+3% personal contribution)
- Profit related bonus
- Enhanced share purchase scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life insurance
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.