Optical Physicist - Energy & Materials
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Apply your optics expertise at TTP and you could work on a range of exciting projects as part of our Energy & Materials team.
Perhaps you have used ray-tracing programs such as Zemax to design new equipment, or maybe you have hands-on experience developing or maintaining pulsed laser systems in your lab. Either way, you are interested in designing and building complex optical systems and want to develop these skills further.
We see a great future in working with some of the world’s most forward-thinking corporate clients and technology start-ups, to leverage our multi-disciplinary science, technology, and engineering skillset, to help those clients respond to the global challenges of sustainability, energy transition, synthetic chemistry and environmental technologies.
As a consultant at TTP, you will work on complex technical challenges for our clients, using your solid grounding in scientific and engineering principles to find solutions to real-world problems across a range of industries. This will involve a mix of desk-based ideas-generation and problem solving as well as hands-on experimental work. You will also enjoy using this growing knowledge base to explore new business opportunities and in the creation of value for our clients and for TTP.
With superb facilities, training, and the freedom to innovate, your future at TTP is what you make it. We value ambition, leadership and technical excellence and we provide a fantastic environment to develop your career.
- A master's degree or PhD in Physics or a related discipline
- Experience working at the cutting edge of optics or photonics, either in industry or academia
- Practical experience in the design, build, calibration and test of optical systems
- Experience with optics simulation software packages such as Zemax
- Experience using COMSOL or equivalent multi-physics simulation software
- A knowledge of optical spectroscopy techniques (e.g. fluorescence, absorption, Raman, FTIR) and their use for materials characterisation would be beneficial
- Programming expereince for data analysis, image processing, algorithm development and experiment automation (e.g. Python, MATLAB)
TTP is an employee-owned business operating from green surroundings in Melbourn, just south of Cambridge. Our working culture encourages entrepreneurship, shared ideas and technical collaboration, while providing you with the freedom to do your best work. We value our collaborative culture and the benefit in-person interaction brings to our colleagues and to the business. We also understand the importance of work-life balance and offer flexibility in how you self-manage your working week.
Our benefits include:
- Annual profit-related bonus
- Employer pension contribution of 12% of pensionable pay
- Private medical insurance for employees and dependants
- Free lunch and all-day refreshments
- Life insurance worth 6 x salary
- 25 days holiday
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave, with the option to return part-time for a year
- Electric car leasing scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- A wide range of activities including squash, Zumba, yoga, arts and crafts, and TTP’s own rock band
- Local sports facilities and theatre discounts and memberships
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable