Printhead Process Engineer - Tonejet
Melbourn, United Kingdom
Tonejet Limited designs, manufactures and markets industrial digital printing technology and equipment, based on our unique electrostatic drop-on-demand ink ejection technology. Our focus is on digital printing of metal packaging, with plans to broaden into other markets in the future. We are at an exciting point in the company’s growth with beta trials running in Canada and the UK, and new installations being planned.
We are a subsidiary of TTP Group, one of Europe’s leading technology companies.
We are seeking a Process Engineer to work as an integral part of our Printhead Development and Manufacturing team. Working with our team of Process Engineers and Manufacturing Technicians, the successful candidate will develop and productionise new and improved manufacturing processes for current and next generation Tonejet printheads.
The role will include:
- Developing new printhead production processes that lead to improvements in quality and yield, and reductions in cost.
- Investigating new printhead component and assembly architectures, through production and characterisation of proof of concept prototypes.
- Transitioning processes from R&D through to production with a focus on yield and quality, using tools including FMEA and DfMA.
- Monitoring yield and quality of production processes and carrying out focussed problem solving on process issues that arise.
- Using carefully planned experiments and statistical analysis to produce data-driven process improvements
- Providing hands-on production support of precision components, assemblies and printheads, particularly as new processes are validated and refined in production
- Preparing standard operating procedures to document production processes, to assemble printheads to high tolerances, requiring careful and precise work.
- Providing guidance and leadership to printhead assembly technicians
- Using a range of manual and automated processing and metrology equipment in a cleanroom environment.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for careful, precise hands-on work and a commitment to excellence in terms of attention to detail, quality, consistency and yield.
- A 1st or 2:1 degree in Engineering, Physics, Materials Science or a related discipline.
- Experience working in a process development role in an engineering environment such as printhead manufacturing, microfluidic device fabrication or semiconductor processing.
- Experience in at least three of the following areas:
- Cleanroom processing and fabrication
- Vacuum deposition, electroplating and other metallisation processes
- Micro-scale moulding and replication
- Use of microscopes and other precision measuring equipment
- Precision mechanical assembly
- Dexterous and skilled in precision manual procedures and handling delicate components.
- Ability to prepare detailed standard operating procedures for other team members to follow to ensure consistent quality.
- Experienced in data handling and analysis using Excel and statistical analysis packages
- Familiarity of working within a lean manufacturing environment. Knowledge of 1-piece flow, Kanban, 5S, & Kaizen would be an advantage.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; the ability to communicate complex ideas in a straightforward manner and to interact effectively with colleagues at all levels.
- Experience working as part of a close team, working together towards common goals.
- Proactive and self-motivated with the ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams in a focussed industrial R&D and manufacturing environment.
Tonejet is part of TTP Group, an employee-owned business operating from beautiful surroundings on our own Science Park in Melbourn, near Cambridge. Our working culture encourages shared ideas and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We also offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- A generous employer pension contribution
- Employee share scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Profit share
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Life insurance
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.