Production Manager - Tonejet
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Tonejet Ltd is seeking a Production Manager to take a key position within the Tonejet manufacturing team, overseeing the manufacture of ground-breaking digital printing machinery. Working closely with the Materials Manager and reporting to the VP Engineering & Production, you will lead and grow the production team, ensuring efficient delivery of machines as we steer the business from prototype to series manufacture.
Tonejet designs and manufactures digital printing systems for direct packaging decoration. Our unique beverage can printing technology will disrupt the rapidly expanding craft beverage industry. The market for our product is booming, with end users wanting shorter runs and greater supply chain efficiency whilst consumers reject plastic and glass packaging in favour of lightweight fully recyclable aluminium.
Job role and responsibilities:
- Lead and grow our production team as we ramp up to series production, establishing a team ethos and culture focussing on staff development, cohesion, and product quality.
- Organise and plan the workload of the production team, including creating and processing production documentation such as Job Orders, to ensure equipment is built in the most economic and efficient way, whilst maintaining quality.
- Construct, monitor and maintain production schedules in line with sales orders and customer requirements.
- Act as the conduit between the production team and the engineering and R&D teams, reporting design issues and working on solutions in a collaborative way.
- Drive continuous improvement, initiating DfMA and cost-down initiatives in partnership with the engineering and R&D teams.
- Work with the Production team members to set-out and equip an efficient, professional and safe manufacturing environment.
- Working with others in the organisation, establish systems for driving the quality of Tonejet products. This will include developing improved in-process testing and incoming inspection procedures.
- Work alongside the materials team to ensure that materials, components, ancillary equipment and tooling are procured to support the production schedule without causing delays.
- Communicate plans, processes and progress to colleagues at all levels of the business.
We are looking for candidates with experience in most or all of the following areas:
- Production of high-value, low volume precision machinery, printing equipment, instrumentation or similar.
- MRP or ERP systems, and MS Office applications.
- Managing and motivating shop-floor production teams; scheduling work; planning machine builds and reporting progress clearly to senior management.
- Lean manufacturing processes including implementing or improving these systems in previous roles.
- Working in partnership with an engineering team to feed back, process and implement design improvements, including ECN (engineering change notes) and machine retrofit management.
- Handling and shipping large machines around the world.
- Working in a quality driven environment, including familiarity with quality plans and relevant ISO standards (ISO9001 etc).
All applicants should be degree qualified from a university with a strong engineering faculty, either in manufacturing engineering or a closely related discipline.
The successful candidate will need to combine exceptional people-skills and a passion for precision with the energy and vision required to create a world-class manufacturing operation. You will be self-starting, and a proven team leader with a process-driven mindset. In addition, experience in any of the following areas will be an advantage:
- Digital printing equipment or technology
- Working within a start-up business transitioning to series machine manufacture
Tonejet is part of TTP Group, an employee-owned business operating from pleasant surroundings on our own Science Park in Melbourn, South Cambridgeshire. Our working culture encourages shared ideas and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We also offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- A generous employer pension contribution
- Employee share scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Profit share
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Life insurance
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.