Senior Software Engineer - Cellular Highways
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Cellular Highways is building the next generation of cell sorter instruments for cell therapies, cancer treatment and other biotech applications. With our invention of a new microfluidics sorting technology, vortex actuated cell sorting (VACS), we can reduce the cost and complexity of cell sorting and achieve far greater throughput than existing platforms. Our aim is to make cell sorting accessible to every laboratory as well as enabling new clinical applications.
We are a spin-out company from TTP plc (The Technology Partnership) an established technology consulting firm with a successful track record of launching new businesses with disruptive technologies.
Are you looking for an exciting role in a well-funded biotech start-up?
We are looking for an experienced and ambitious Senior Software Engineer to take the lead on software engineering and development functions for our cell sorter instruments. Through your career roles so far, you will have proved your technical capabilities in specifying, implementing and delivering software to the highest standard. You will have the confidence and drive to build the systems, processes and team to your specifications that will allow us to develop and support the Cellular Highways product family as we move towards supporting commercial products to meet demanding customer applications. You will have a passion for practical, hands-on engineering coupled with the inter-personal and leadership skills required to build a team and mentor junior team members as they evolve their skills.
Our growing team relies on close-knit interaction between multiple complex technical disciplines. As well as being the leading voice for the software function, you will have a natural intellectual curiosity to allow you to understand and interact with all the technical functions that have to seamlessly integrate to realise our technology.
To qualify for this role, you must have:
- Significant Experience developing software applications and GUIs using C# and Python in a Windows environment using an object-oriented approach
- Significant experience of design, implementation and verification of software as part of a complex electronic system which integrates multiple sub-systems (electro-mechanical, electro-optic, signal processing etc)
- Significant experience in developing software in a commercial regulated software development environment. Experience of working under an ISO13485 following a software development lifecycle such as IEC62304 with consideration of risk management processes (e.g. ISO14971) would be of particular relevance.
- An excellent academic background with a top-class degree from a leading university in electronics / software engineering, computer science, or a physical science
- Strong leadership and inter-personal qualities with experience in recruiting and mentoring junior staff
- Strong ability to grasp a wider range of engineering and scientific topics, working effectively within a multi-disciplinary team and strongly representing the software function
- Experience / strong motivation to work in advanced medical technology development
Additionally, familiarity with the following would be desirable:
- Using machine vision or image processing to automate instruments – possibly with libraries such as OpenCV, NumPy and awareness of real time deployment
- Working with embedded processors (such as STM32) and Field Programmable Gate Arrays in complex real-time systems
We offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- Employer pension contribution of 12%
- Profit related bonus
- Enhanced share purchase scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life insurance
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.