Senior Software Engineer - Tonejet
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Tonejet Limited is seeking an experienced and talented Senior Software Engineer to join its growing Engineering team. The successful candidate will have a strong background in developing .NET based software solutions and demonstrate proven competence in implementing complex functional software for machinery or capital equipment.
The Senior Software Engineer will have the support of a strong team but will need to be able to take responsibility for driving projects ranging from bug fixes to new-feature development through to completion.
Tonejet develops cutting-edge technology and products in digital printing, based on our proprietary electrostatic drop-on-demand ink ejection technology. Our current focus is on the Cyclone machine, designed for digital printing of metal packaging. We are at an exciting point in the company’s growth as we approach the first Beta-machine installations, while simultaneously looking at new opportunities and applications for our unique and disruptive technology. As part of a dynamic, creative and inventive team you’ll be given the room to grow your skills and specialise in the areas you excel while retaining the broad variety of day to day work.
As a software engineer at Tonejet your contribution will be immediate, involving a mixture of hands-on development with machines and systems, product improvement programmes and ground-up design work, which will include:
- Develop high-quality system architecture and product applications using .NET framework and C#
- Develop clean and simple User-interfaces for complex electro-mechanical machinery, ensuring software is up-to-date with latest technologies.
- Identify, prioritize and execute tasks in the software development life-cycle, working alongside the Engineering Manager.
- Develop processes to maintain and implement coding standards to produce clean and efficient code for applications.
- Automate unit / scripted testing through appropriate tools for continuous improvement of software reliability.
- Provide Peer-review and mentoring for other software engineers within the engineering team.
- Perform validation and verification testing for software deployment.
Qualifications and Training:
- First or upper second-class degree (2:1) in Computer Science or Software Engineering from a reputed university.
- Any relevant certifications in C#, .NET framework or Windows based development will be a bonus.
Skills and Experience:
- Proven experience as a Senior Software Engineer for a product-development company.
- Solid experience in the following areas of software development:
- UI/UX design and implementation for complex machines or equipment, using WPF / XAML.
- Writing drivers to interface with low-level Hardware like PLCs / Sensors / embedded systems / networked devices.
- Robust architecture design for software solutions, demonstrating modularity and loosely coupled interactions between sub-systems.
- Strong understanding of the MVVM architectural pattern.
- Unit Testing / Scripted Testing for improved software testing and robustness.
- TCP/IP based network communications between applications and systems.
- Asynchronous programming for C#
- Planning sprints and projects for deploying new features / improvements to software.
- Experience in creating coding standards and processes to maintain code quality and re-factoring of code between multiple developers.
- Using and setting up Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment processes and systems like Jenkins or Cruise-Control
- Able to switch between different software development methodologies such as Scrum, Agile, Kanban, Waterfall.
- Experience of using version-control and bug-reporting software such as Subversion, Trac, GIT, TortoiseSVN.
- Some experience or knowledge of image processing and manipulation for industry formats would be desirable (but not essential) for this role.
- You are willing to lead medium-to-large scale projects and work with a wide range of technical and non-technical people.
- You have initiative, good communication skills, attention to detail, an analytical and innovative approach and the ability to thrive under pressure.
Tonejet is part of TTP Group, an employee-owned business operating from pleasant surroundings on our own Science Park in Melbourn, South Cambridgeshire. Our working culture encourages shared ideas and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We also offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- A generous employer pension contribution
- Employee share scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Profit share
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Life insurance
- Discounts on memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.