Speculative PhD application
Cambridge, United Kingdom
If you’re a current or recent PhD student considering TTP as your next step but can’t find a fit for your expertise in our other vacancies, then we are always happy to consider speculative applications. This speculative route allows us to consider you for opportunities across all areas of our business.
As a consultant at TTP, you will work on cutting-edge projects, inventing novel technologies and products that make a real difference to people’s lives. You will use and further develop your existing technical, research and transferable skills to work within an exciting industry-focused setting in areas as diverse as neurotechnology, diagnostic devices, self-driving cars and industrial gas sensors. Not only will you be putting your technical skills to use, but through client interactions and TTP initiatives you will be able to generate insights to uncover new opportunities.
You will spend your days collaborating with, and learning from, your colleagues and clients. Together you will tackle complex scientific, engineering and strategic problems to generate solutions that evolve into new products, technologies and business areas. You can expect to get involved in everything from initial conversations with new clients, through invention sessions and early analysis, to late-stage design and transfer to manufacture.
We do not prescribe application deadlines and can make offers with start dates up to one academic year in advance.
Alternatively, if you are more interested in short-term experience, we also offer PhD internships.
For individuals at PhD level, we are typically looking for people with a record of experimental research and an interest in industry. In some cases, we also take on versatile theoreticians who are keen to take on an applied role.
We also typically look for evidence of the following capabilities and characteristics within applications:
• Curiosity: Whether it’s new technology, unfamiliar scientific principles or how a business makes money, you dig down to generate valuable insights.
• Transferable skills: You enjoy collaborating and presenting your work to others and explaining why it matters to them.
• Drive and ambition: You take on new responsibilities, seek challenging objectives, and pursue them with tenacity and pragmatism.
• The ability to generate theoretical and empirical evidence.
• Applied practical skills
TTP is an employee-owned business operating from pleasant surroundings on our own Science Park in Melbourn, South Cambridgeshire. Our working culture encourages entrepreneurship, shared ideas and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We offer employee benefits such as your usual 25 days holiday, private medical insurance, cycle to work scheme, plus:
- Employer pension contribution of 12% (+3% personal contribution)
- Annual profit related bonus
- Free lunch
- Life insurance up to 6 times salary
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.