Test Engineer - Tonejet
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Tonejet Ltd is seeking a Production Test Engineer to join its growing production team for a permanent role at its factory in Melbourn, Cambridgeshire. Your primary objective will be to test and qualify new builds of digital printing and other machinery that form the overall digital beverage can printing system we sell to customers.
The successful candidate will have experience testing and qualifying complex electro-mechanical machinery systems.
The Test Engineer will need to be able to lead with the evaluation, diagnostics and any correction of subsystems in preliminary build, and overall build qualification in final system build. Support will be provided by strong R&D, Engineering, Production and Service teams.
This role will appeal to an engineer with a manufacturing test engineering background who has a passion for test solutions across a range of engineering disciplines, including electrical, electronic, electro-mechanical, micron-precision mechanics, ultra-precision fluidics and complex, fast-moving machinery.
Job role and responsibilities:
- Functional testing and execution of test protocols on the machinery, including testing of electro-mechanical assemblies, electrical control systems including safety systems, pneumatic control systems, fluidics systems and cable harnesses
- Identifying the need for creation of bespoke test environments and rigs
- Working Knowledge of H&S, Risk assessment and Mitigations
- Monitoring and reporting test progress to the task originator (Engineer, Manager etc)
- Creating detailed technical reports that meet regulatory standards
- Use of testing tools: Cable-test tools, oscilloscopes, hi-pot/Clare testing and traditional bench equipment
- Working with AC 3-phase and 1-phase electrical control panels, complying with the working with live electricity HSE guidance (Electricity at Work: Safe Working Practices, HSG85).
- Understand the requirements of related standards associated with testing of complex machinery
- Work with other Engineers and Production staff to capture requirements for test-rig functionality and promote a Continuous Improvement & right-first-time culture.
- Generally, assist with any/all reasonable tasks in this small production team.
Qualifications and training:
- HNC-Degree with significant hands-on experience in manufacturing and/or process delivery
- Relevant education may include: Electronics, Systems automation, Process control, Robotics
- Nice to have: PCB test methodologies, oscilloscope experience, leak testing fluids/gases
Skills and experience:
- Ability to read mechanical, electrical and electronic diagrams
- Extensive hands-on experience in a production test or hardware debug environment
- Attention to detail is essential working at micron levels of precision.
- Able to select, specify, and source components & equipment for test methods
- Significant experience in the use and application of test equipment
- Experience building test equipment black-boxes, dummy loads and loop-back test aids etc.
- Experience with 1-phase and 3-phase designs
- Testing of machinery safety circuits to current standards
- Strong knowledge of operator, product, and equipment safety in test environments
- Knowledge of industrial communications protocols and PLC I/O checking
- Ability to use MS Office products
- The role requires someone with initiative, good communication skills, and attention to detail, an analytical and problem-solving mindset, and the ability to thrive under pressure.
Tonejet is part of TTP Group, an employee-owned business operating from pleasant surroundings on our own Science Park in Melbourn, South Cambridgeshire. Our working culture encourages shared ideas and technical collaboration, while providing you the freedom to do your best work. We also offer fantastic employee benefits including:
- A generous employer pension contribution
- Employee share scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Profit share
- 25 days’ annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Life insurance
- Discounts and memberships to local sports facilities and the theatre
- Cycle to Work scheme
- A comprehensive relocation package is also available, if applicable.